Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Crying over fallen leaves

Tonight a poem by my favourite poet (though I make no claims to understanding him always, it is the sound of the words that pleases me most), the beautiful Gerard Manley Hopkins.

I was surprised by another talented colleague today, the wonderful Michael of PCC, who writes the most delicious haiku, which I shall, with his permission reproduce a sample of, if he'll allow it. As if this wasn't enough, he casually remarked today that he does Reiki - which I went to someone for once and was thoroughly surprised by. Michael recommended a site for me if anyone wants to find out more:

Spring and Fall (to a young child)

Gerard Manley Hopkins



MÁRGARÉT, áre you gríeving

Over Goldengrove unleaving?

Leáves, líke the things of man, you

With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?

Áh! ás the heart grows older

It will come to such sights colder

By and by, nor spare a sigh

Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;

And yet you wíll weep and know why.

Now no matter, child, the name:

Sórrow’s spríngs áre the same.

Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed

What heart heard of, ghost guessed:

It ís the blight man was born for,

It is Margaret you mourn for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Yesterday, you got me thinking about alternative words for romance and romantic. Take a look at the attached link . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence

May or may not fit, but it was intesting.

Love the GMH poem by the way. My favourite (being a country bumkin with straw in my hair) is Pied Beauty. "Glory be to God for dappled things, for skies as coupled coloured as a brindled cow . . . ."

Keep posting - I love it!

Bridget X