Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sanity is madness put to good use - George Santayana

I came across tonight's title quote at Nurse Ratched's blog: http://www.nurse-ratcheds.blogspot.com/. Some of the vintage Dr and Nurse pulp fiction book covers she profiles here really made me laugh.

I've changed the template of the blog tonight as I was in a panic about where the links had gone and I fancied a change. This is less sedate than the last one, but I'd love your comments, as always.

You may remember my fears that blogging is a sad activity, from last week, courtesy of a number of stand-up comedians who blasted all things blog-like. This perception may be set to change this Tuesday, when the national campaign for the importance of national history and involvement in heritage - Stephen Fry is a founder member - History Matters, launches its own huge blogging experiment: One Day in History. This project gives everyone in Britain the opportunity to blog for one day, Tuesday 17th October, and to have their blog stored in the British Library for the rest of time, or something like it. The website sums it up as follows:

'One Day in History' is a one off opportunity for you to join in a mass blog for the national record. We want as many people as possible to record a 'blog' diary which will be stored by the British Library as a historical record of our national life.

It's a bit like a time capsule idea but different. You see?

Check out the website for more details, and if you have time, find out more about the History Matters campaign: http://www.historymatters.org.uk/output/Page96.asp

I think I did the right thing and nipped the cold/flu/snotalicious bug in the bud by staying in bed for two days this weekend, even though it was Boringsville Arizona. I don't want to succumb to illness right now - this has been one of those months where so much seems to be happening, not just to me, but to a lot of people around and close to me. Not all of these things have been good things, although I know from experience that often bad things are the catalyst of good ones - not that it helps to know this at the time - but it has felt a lot of the time that there just isn't enough time to fit in everything I want to do. I do believe though, that everything balances itself out in the end, and that I'll just have to live with the fact that there are only 24 hours in any one day.

My best friend Shonagh suggested last week at lunch that I should try pulling three angel cards a day. "Try knocking on the pack", she said, "You can meditate on the cards you pick for the rest of the day, but particularly think about them when times get tricky!"

Yesterday, I decided to give this a try and I found my angel cards at the bottom of my old magical trunk, which has remained unopened for quite some time - since I began to freelance in fact, funnily enough. The three cards I picked were enormously reassuring to me about trusting my instincts on a day to day basis, and starting with myself before I try to be there for anyone else. They also encouraged me to continue with my meditations, something that comes up whenever I consult any of my sets of cards.

Today's beautiful things:

1. It's Sunday!

2. Being at home

3. A beautifully honest conversation with an old friend

No comments: