Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Chasing Free Time

Today is All Saints Day, which was originally a feast day to honour martyrs although I learnt today that how exactly this day came to be associated with the Saints is a bit of a mystery, so answers on a postcard via the usual comments box, please.

On the topic of saints, I was inspired to search for my birthday saint since The Chief mentioned it over cheesy chips yesterday. American Catholic.org's searchable Saint of the Day feature informs me that the Saint for the 3rd July is, would you believe (you'll see what I'm about to do here) St Thomas the Apostle, or, as he is more commonly known, Doubting Thomas. No similarities there then.

I have spent all day working from home, buried up to my neck (apart from 2, hour-long breaks) in Parliamentary Papers from Chasing Freedom. It is imperative that we get these in a digital format so that everyone working on the exhibition can work on them. It is involved, detailed and arduous work, and I have knots the size of watermelons in my shoulder muscles to prove it!

On the plus side, there is nothing like the sense of peace and accomplishment that spreads over me at the end of a long working day. The Angel of Virtue sits on my shoulder, smiling and I know I will sleep like a well-fed cherub tonight. However, there is not so much interesting news for me to report to you and that's one of the costs of barely leaving my computer chair, I'm afraid. I'll try to make it up to you over the weekend by going wild in Norwich. Doesn't sound that likely, does it.

Take some inspiration though from some quotes that the Chief has been sharing with me recently.

If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
Jim Rohn

Our lives are frittered away with detail. Simplify, simplify.
Anon

It is only the wisest and the very stupidest who cannot change.
Confucius
(This quote intrigues me, but I've struggled with Confucius ever since I found out he also said,
"One hundred women are not worth a single testicle.")

Destiny follows in the footsteps of the untiring traveller.
Bhagavad Gita

Speaking of the Chief, as I often do these days (I expressed a concern recently that I might have to name the whole site Chronicles of the Chief), I am intrigued by my anonymous commentor of the night before last, who posted, simply, "I like the Chief."

So do I, but if you tell him I shall flatly deny it. And if you like the Chief more than you like me simply from reading my blog, I should be ghost-writing his autobiography.

Today's Beautiful Things

1. John William Waterhouse - The Mermaid (tonight's painting)

2. Glenn in a suit (work, not birthday). Oh yes.

3. The winner of the 'For the Sheer Hell of It' Award Du Jour, http://adoptamicrobe.blogspot.com/


2 comments:

Lou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lou said...

Most disappointed about the lack of 'Frou Frou' in your bloggings... ;o)