Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Love set you going like a fat gold watch. Sylvia Plath

'Chelsea', from Youngest Indie. I hang out at the YI a lot -
you should also check out her 'What if OK Go were a girl band?' post

The Chief sets me thinking about spreading love to the Universe. Or maybe I could start with the local community and work my way up. I've been wrestling with some negativity lately (to visualize this, picture my negativity as a crocodile in an ill-fitting, dark brown, seventies suit. He always has a Camel cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth and he never breaks a sweat). The twin tasks of keeping my head above water and my feet on the ground have been occupying a lot of my time. It was good to think about love and positivity again, though a little of a struggle. However, I am a double water sign and bipolar impersonations are my middle name (there was a mix up when it came to registering the birth, it's a long story), so I think I'm ready to try it.

Coincidentally (or was it?), today my friend Clarky (who I am quite convinced knew I was going to the Isle of Mull, and in fact, in the history of my life rewrite that's always taking place inside my head, she was the first person I told at the special 'I'm Going to Mull Party' where she was the guest of honour - is it me, or are my posts getting more surreal? I should cut down on the absinthe) told me all about a book by Danny Wallace.

I had actually just mentioned Castaway and we were discussing whether it's reality TV for intellectuals or just the same formulaic horseshit, but on the BBC - incidentally, my favourite part of this conversation was when Lisa said she had Reality TV Fatigue, brilliant - and Lisa said she had a crush on Danny Wallace. The blankness on my face gathered itself into the word Who? And Lisa explained that Danny Wallace is a comedian and a writer (and pretty fine slice of man pie himself, apparently).

Danny (gorgeous name) Wallace wrote a book called Random Acts of Kindness: 365 Ways to Make the World a Nicer Place, which Amazon have very nicely synopsized (yes, I think I made that up, but it's working for me):

In his bestselling book Join Me, Danny Wallace instructs his legions of followers to perform a 'Random Act of Kindness' every Friday. As a result, his thousands of followers (dubbed the Karma Army), without warning, made people happier the length and breadth of the country. Now in Random Acts of Kindness Danny brings you a hilarious, well-meaning book to encourage you to perform Random Acts of your own.This book contains 365 real Random Acts of Kindness real people have done for real strangers- so read it, learn it, and start making your world the nicer place, today!'

I have, of course, already ordered this from the library. I could have had it on the spot, but they are all reserved for a promotion called Bibliotherapy and so the most helpful librarian in the building (I don't even know the lady's name) took the order for me and vowed to find out when the title could be mine. I'll keep you posted.

Whilst in the library, I had another random act of kindness enacted on me when an exceptional librarian recommended a new fantasy genre to me called SteamPunk, which is now my current fascination (everyone should read Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - it is not at all what you think and it's dirty - who could ask for anything more).

All of which goes to show, good things happen in libraries. Love amongst the stacks and all that.

No comments: