Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Noiseless Patient Spider, Walt Whitman

Spider web in rain courtesy of Interesting Finding Over the Net

Bit of Walt Whitman for you. The thing about saying yes more is that I have much less time to do other things, like blog, as much! This is ok, because Miss Sally says that living is better than writing about living.

Of course, as a writer, I'm compelled to disagree in one sense, but I catch her drift.

So, in lieu of actually telling something of my life, here's a poem. Walt Whitman reminds me of Gerard Manley Hopkins, but I'm not sure, after the couple of glasses of wine I've had, that I could tell you why. Maybe it's the spirit.

A Noiseless Patient Spider
A noiseless, patient spider,

I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;

Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,

It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;

Ever unreeling them--ever tirelessly speeding them.


And you, O my Soul, where you stand,

Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,

Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,--seeking the spheres, to
connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form'd--till the ductile anchor
hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.


Walt Whitman

No comments: