Monday, June 11, 2007

What we are looking for is what is looking. St Francis of Assisi

Portsmouth City Dreaming - flowers near the Bandstand

A big welcome home to The Chief, who has been sorely missed over the last week during his holiday in Turkey. I met with him this afternoon for coffee and the man has a tan that is actually illegal. Not that I'm envious. I doubt it would suit me, and besides, I was recently told that I must be descended from Vikings, and that's good enough for me.

Every time I sit before this screen to write lately, the first sentence that comes into my mind is usually something like - Where do I start? It's becoming ever more clear that it is almost impossible for me to post at weekends at the moment: a current combination of summer sun, lots of great people that I want to spend time with and most recently, the emergence of a Gemini birthday every few days!

This weekend was no exception on any of these fronts. Until today, I thought that nothing could top the laughter, conversation and positivity of the last few days (I'm deliberately paying no attention to the crazy hangovers), until I saw a film today called What the Bleep Do We Know?

Unsurprisingly, I was led to this film by the Peace Cafe and it's ever interesting owner, who was kind enough to lend it to me. I'd mentioned that I planned to spend the day working and as James handed me the film, he hesitated.

"Maybe don't watch it before you work though," he warned me, "You might not be able to concentrate."

So of course, I watched it.

This movie was highly controversial when it came out, and a brief search on the internet tells me it continues to be, with some or many of the film's scientific evidence and experts being raised for criticism. If you're interested, you can read a great article about this on Wikipedia.

But there's no doubt that the film raises some amazing questions about state of mind, consciousness, 'hard sciences' and personal power. I found the film exceptionally unlifting, thought-provoking, and in lots of ways, I believe many of it's central points could actually have an enormously beneficial effect on a lot of people. I don't know enough about quantum physics to test any of the science in this film, and I'm never likely too, but I do know that the film has stayed with me for the whole of today, and I imagine it will stay with me for a while longer. Watch it, and tell me what you think!

I went for a soul-searching walk along the beach this afternoon to think about some of the points raised in the film. Three complete strangers (and a small dog) spoke to me in less than an hour, including a traffic warden that I was watching from my balcony this morning, who complimented me on my smile.

"Hey!" he called from a side street, "You look very happy with yourself! More people should try that!"

As he spoke, I realised that I had been walking along with a beatific grin on my face, which was all the evidence that I needed. Any film that can do this to you after one viewing has to be worth watching.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein


No comments: