Sunday, July 1, 2007

Changing the Heart

This stunning image and loads more from the amazing FrenchToastGirl, Elena Nazarro.
Please, please, please check out her beautiful art blog immediately!


I dedicate my Sunday, traditionally enough, to matters of the spirit, albeit in my own rather special way. Glenn meets me in the Peace Cafe for a latte and arrives just in time to share the delights ofa cherry cake that really can't be legal. Sated, we head back to the Heights for a matinee viewing of What the Bleep Do We Know? which Glenn hasn't seen before. It's as good the second time as it was the first, and we have little to say between us when the film ends. I'm looking forward to seeing him next time though!

After a bit of quantum spirituality, I head back to the Peace Cafe for the Sunday night Buddhist teaching. These are short films running every week on a Wednesday and Sunday night, a series of talks given over a weekend by Ani Tenzin Palmo on the Six Buddhist Paramitas or Six Perfections, which are:

  1. Dana - Generosity, giving.
  2. Sila - Virtue, morality, proper conduct.
  3. Khanti (Sanskrit: kṣanti) - Patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance.
  4. Viriya (Sanskrit: virya) - Energy, diligence, vigour, effort.
  5. Dhyāna (Sanskrit: dhyāna) - One-pointed concentration, contemplation.
  6. Prajna (Sanskrit: prajña) - Wisdom, insight.
This week we looked at the first, giving, and part of the second, moral conduct. Next week we'll complete moral conduct, which includes abstaining from sexual misconduct and mind-altering substances - which means I'll be looking out for some new hobbies sometime soon.

If you don't know anything about Ani Tenzin Palmo, who is an extraordinary woman, then you can find our more about her here or race down to Central Library, where, the last time I checked (30 seconds ago), her amazing biography Cave in the Snow is patiently sitting on the shelf waiting for you. Am I good to you, or what?

I've decided to celebrate my birthday on Saturday with an all day drop in gathering at the Heights, so if I haven't invited you yet, it just means I haven't got round to you (or that I hate you and don't want you in my house, but you should instinctively know the difference).

As ever, I've left organising anything until the last minute, but give me a text or a phone call if you can make it or just show up on the day! I'm glad that the teaching on sexual misconduct and mind altering substances comes after the party, as it means I can have one last crazy drunken shabang before having to give it all up (I'm thinking more of the drinking than the sexual misconduct, but I never know my luck...).

And finally, here's 1234 from Feist.

If anyone's stuck on a birthday present (it's Tuesday you forgetful sods), The Reminder by Feist or Laurie Anderson's Big Science would earn you a big kiss and my stereo's undying gratitude.....

No comments: