Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Let your days be bright


HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT CHRISTMAS, DAILY READERS!!

I know I did, in the end! I had the craziest Christmas week, I think, in the history of my life so far. I spent a lot of the pre-Christmas week sobbing, wailing, feeling sorry for myself and generally acting out the harridan banshee. I had my peak on Christmas Eve, preparing for everyone to come to the Heights on Boxing Day, when I smashed my CD rack to smithereens in a fit of frustrated and overwrought temper.

"Everything happens for a reason," G said later as she surveyed the damage, "And I do like the CD's on that shelf."

Christmas Day was the perfect epiphany; the feeling of chaos was swept away as the day unfolded. There was a moment in the evening, when most people had gone home. My family and Kit Kat were half-watching TV, chatting and cooing over the novelty of their presents; Bean was dozing with a smile in his chair. I looked around me, saw for the first time in far too long how much I have, and saw with some embarrassment how hard I've been staring at the things I don't have, can't have, won't have, and, in the process, missing the important things.

Yesterday was another relaxing experience, back at the Heights for Boxing Day fun, catching up with my brother and his girlfriend, who had their own special Christmas in their new home this year. We played DVD games and Articulate - an example of how my brain falls apart in this game:

G: Ok, it's a place where a dog lives...

Me: A Bark!!

I have a Masters degree and everything you know.

Tonight's poem du jour from Massive Attack's hit, Teardrop. If you have a copy of this, find it; if you don't, buy it. Until then, you have the Daily.

"Teardrop"

[Liz Fraser]

Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word
Fearless on my breath
Gentle impulsion
Shakes me makes me lighter
Fearless on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Fearless on my breath

Nine night of matter
Black flowers blossom
Fearless on my breath
Black flowers blossom
Fearless on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Fearless on my breath

Water is my eye
Most faithful mirror
Fearless on my breath
Teardrop on the fire of a confession
Fearless on my breath
Most faithful mirror
Fearless on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Fearless on my breath

Stumbling a little
Stumbling a little


And because I am just so damn good to you, here's the video, courtesy of YouTube.









Three Beautiful Christmas Things

1. Home

2. Moments of stillness and silence

3. My God, the food....the food.....

No comments: