Friday, February 2, 2007

Chasing Freedom

Chasing Freedom: The Royal Navy and the Suppression of the Transatlantic Slave Trade
A special exhibition at the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

Oops, late post alert, late post! I can only apologise as it has been a bit of a crazy week. Last night I went to bed at 8.15, although I didn't go to sleep until about 2am, but that's another story (and not one that's as exciting as it sounds - I was watching a documentary. Twice). I wanted an early because I was so excited about today.

Today is the Official Opening of Chasing Freedom: The Royal Navy and the Suppression of the Transatlantic Slave Trade, a special exhibition at the Royal Naval Museum. I was very excited and more than a little bit nervous about it. The launch was a formal affair, with readings about slavery, and a minute's silence to honour all those who suffered the horrors of the slave trade and fought for its end.

Lots of posh bods from the Admiralty attended, but best of all was meeting Miss Rosa Lee, who is Henry Binstead's grand-daughter. Binstead's diary has played a central role in the creation of the exhibition and Miss Lee and her family were absolutely charming.

On Saturday I'm going back to the Chasing Freedom exhibition with my family to show them the fruits of all our hard work, and soon I will be able to announce the launch of our accompanying webpages, too. I keep releasing happy sighs of contentment at the whole thing. Get yourselves down there for a look. Go on, it's only £4.50.

Last night, I watched a documentary called The Corporation. You know I don't say this often, but I mean this one:

YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS FILM.

I mean it. It's not dull, you'll learn things you never knew. It will shock and horrify you (and if it doesn't, come see me, I have a Rolodex full of great therapists on my desk here at the Heights) and, I hope, it will make you ask some important questions about what our responsibilities as individuals in this world, to act mindfully and with clear, consistent purpose: and to balance the right to live freely with the responsibility to do no harm. Here's the trailer.




No comments: