Sunday, March 25, 2007

Where angels fear to tread?

Jamel Debbouze and Rie Rasmussen, Angel-A

I watched Angel-A, Luc Besson's (The 5th Element, Nikita, Leon) most recent film, last night. It is undoubtedly one of the best films that I've seen for a while. I was completely drawn in by the simplicity of the film, its visual power and the superb acting of the two leads: Jamel Debbouze and Rie Rasmussen (who has the most impossibly long legs in the whole world. Ever).

Following on from our recent speculations on happiness, here at the Heights, Angel-A could not have been better timed. It tells the story of a down and out petty criminal at his lowest ebb, who having been told he will not live out the day if he cannot pay his debts, decides to kill himself. Having reached the decision to throw himself off a bridge, he meets a tall, beautiful blonde preparing to do the same. She turns out to be an angel sent to change his life.

What follows is a story that tells why everyone deserves a second chance, and how we are never too far from the possibility of redemption. See it. It's available from Central Library (and, according to the catalogue on the shelf waiting for you there now) and at all good video shops near you.

There's an interesting interview on the BBC site here with Luc Besson on the making of the film, which reveals that he shoots all his films in sequence (which I thought almost never happened and has always fascinated me about film-making).

Today I went for lunch with my Dad and my sister to meet Dad's new girlfriend, Yvonne, for the first time. I liked Yvonne a lot, mostly because of her quiet good humour, and for her ability to take my atypical family of oddballs in her stride. At one point she referred to her own family as strange and I thought to myself: if she can sit with us and still think her family is strange, then I definitely need to meet her family.

I made my sister laugh over lunch in Old Portsmouth by making the loudest exclamation of laughter when Amy used the word 'Gimli' as an insult. I am the only other person I know who uses the word - for those of you who are not huge Tolkien or LOTR fans, it's the name of the dwarf in The Lord of the Rings.

No comments: