Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Any view of the Universe that is not strange is false. The Sandman


I see that Hendricks gin is making quite a topic on the comments. Kate and I tried it after we had earned ourselves a drink for singing at the Bicentenary of the Abolition of the Transatlantic Slave Trade in the Guildhall Square a few weeks ago. Hendricks is infused with spices and lots of good things and tastes very different from Gordons or Bombay Sapphire. I may even have to enter the bourgois realm of Waitrose to find it, like Jason seeking the Golden Fleece.

There were some great profiles in the Guardian today about public sector blogs, i.e. public sector workers blog about their jobs. A fantastic one by a nurse in hospital for the elderly, specializing in dementia, who refers to the hospital as the Faerie Realm, ambiguously titled Mental Nurse.

It made me think that maybe I should write a public sector blog, gathered more firmly around the Ministry. I've been thinking lately that I should focus the blog more, that it's too woolly, too ethereal. Let me know. Apparently most public sector bloggers are anonymous (the article profiles a police blogger who cannot reveal his identity for fear of the establishment firing him for his blog), so that part of my plan is a bit scuppered. The article mentions that some job contracts have 'gagging orders' built in, which prevent employees from writing about their jobs, but part of me can't help but think this would be a glamorous way to be fired anyhow. Maybe I'll try it.

Lou in the office enthused about the Portsmouth Star idea today, and it is certainly one that keeps reappearing from the shadows in the darker corners of my mind before scuttling back again. She also sent me the coolest website which made me want to learn to skateboard - maybe because skater girls have some of the best fashion looks, personal preferentially speaking. Except it's different from a skateboard, and you can get one that you can snow board on. It's called a snowboard. I'm not very good at describing these things, so check out the picture above and then go to the site and have a nose for yourself at Tasty Adventures.

No comments: