Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Come not between the dragon and his wrath. King Lear

An anime Princess of Cups by Teresa Dietzinger over at Studio Onyx

It was a glorious Valentine's Day, and I rarely say that. Actually I don't think I've ever said that before.

I spent a highly productive day at the Ministry preparing some briefings for the Chief's return next week. This also meant that I got to spend a lot of time with Miss Sally and the lovely Michael of the Museums, and to chat about the joys and deceptions of being a grown up. That conversation is the first time in ages that I've felt young and vulnerable - and genuniely hopeful, well, hope quarter-full, at least - which can be no bad thing.

The highlight of my day was due to be, as some of you may recall, the joys of Hot Fuzz with the wholesomely lovely Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. Unfortunately I was a complete twat and didn't book tickets and when we arrived they had all sold out. And I mean all. It seems as though I am not the only HF fan in the village, because there were no seats left for the 20.30, the 21.40 or 23.05 shows. How rude is that? The most annoying thing is that I'd even checked the website and THOUGHT about booking them during the day. But I didn't.

Ah well. What do we do when a good plan falls down? Well, I sulked for about ten minutes, obviously, that's compulsory, and then I went home, watched some TV and had an early night. Nothing else for it. The world didn't even have the good grace to send me steamy dreams of my favourite comedy duo. Dang.

So, instead, I am taking my sister to see it on Friday, which will be just as good. And I'm booking the tickets right now.

Tonight, I'm looking forward to another cultural experience, King Lear at the Nuffield Theatre.

This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune, -- often the surfeit of our own behaviour, -- we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence. King Lear

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh i love King Lear, how was it?

Mind you Henry V is my fave....

S. xxx