Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"I don't even butter my bread. I consider that cooking." Katherine Cebrian

Albert Einstein - the thinking girl's crumpet

Do you know that this is The Daily's 100th Blog Entry?

It only seems like yesterday that the germ of an idea to blog every day (almost) became a little blog baby of my very own. And now my baby is, er, 100. I know the posts are sometimes late (like today, for instance); I know that some days are better than others, but here at The Heights, home of The Daily, we strive every day for excellence and, of course, for you. Taking you to the cultural places that the BBC culture show simply can't reach.

Today was eventful. I slept until two o'clock in the afternoon (I had stayed up til 3am - it's becoming a habit. In fact, it's an old one I haven't indulged for years, and I quite like it); I turned down an interview for a job; joined a singing group - a capella, seeing as you ask; and found an unexpected epiphany with a close friend.
I also drank too much wine and didn't blog so I'm posting twice today to make up for it. I was celebrating my induction to the African Women's Forum A Cappella singing group. I was nervous about joining, mostly because I can't actually sing very confidently (though I do sing a lot. Almost as much as I talk to myself. Sometimes I talk to myself in song, just for something different), but when I got there and everyone there said more or less the same thing, I began to relax, and before I knew it, we were all singing Nkosi Sikele Africa (apologies for the spelling), South Africa's anthem.
G and Kate came along too, and now we are all committed choir members. I know at this point you'll be feeling left out, but fear ye not, because there are still places in the group going spare. We currently have about twenty members and there is no upper limit, so feel free to tell your friends. Anyone interested in joining can contact me, we meet every Wednesday at 7pm at the Wesley Centre in Fratton. Our leader and teacher is the wonderful Jo, a music teacher herself at a school in Southsea, who often sings our instructions to us to boost our confidence. All in all, it was a heart-warming amount of fun and I would recommend it. I was also encouraged by the fact that at our first meeting we decided on a date for our first group night out to get drunk!
And for those of you staying in on Thursday night, Snow Patrol are covering Zane Lowe from 7-9pm - it's one not to be missed, and if I was going to be home I'd be listening to it with you. Well, technically, not with you, exactly, but at the same time as you. You know what I mean.
There's a great post today over at The Age of Uncertainty on phobias. Steerforth - a bookseller from Sussex and the author of the blog, confesses to a phobia that I have never heard of: Apeirophobia, the fear of infinity. I think all of my fears are more mundane, and I confess that I can't think of a single strange or obscure phobia that I might possess (does the irrational fear that babies might be aliens count?). Although G has a fear of looking at the hulls of ships moored in dry docks, which is back-breakingly specific as a fear, I've always thought.
Three Apologies:
1. To the Dear Reader, for failing to deliver the blog on time
2. To lovely Lou - I am sorry you had to see that comment, but it was NOT me that called Nick Frost the Fat Bloke, nor would it ever be. I love that man as if he were my very own.
3. To Glenn, for being so completely crap - I will cook something AMAZING and be absolutely devoted company at the weekend if you'll forgive me, I promise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes sorry Lou, whoever you are, that was me that wrote the comment about the fat bloke and in answer to your question about whether that is all he is to me, well kind of yeah.

Dill. x